Knit Some Fun Fish Cat Toys
New Knit Toys for you Cat.
Right now my cat is playing with a plastic bag and a flashlight. So to say they love toys is an understatement.
They usually love anything that we knit for them. In some of the toys we add catnip and this drives them crazy. We also add a bell to them like this one and they seem to love the noise and always wonder where it comes from.
It is funny as our chihuahua’s also love some of these toys and tend to throw them around the house. They also tend to demolish them, so we are always making new ones.
What you Need:
- 4-ply worsted-weight yarn—about 20 yards in color of choice (MC) for body of fish and about 1/2 yard each of black for eyes and red for mouth
- Size 6 knitting needles
- 12 inches of 1/4-inch-wide satin ribbon in color of choice
- 12mm jingle bell
- Tapestry needle
- Polyester stuffing
- Small amount of dried catnip
BODY (make two): Using MC yarn for body, cast on 14 sts.
- Row 1: P across row.
- Row 2: K 2 tog, k across row to last 2 sts, k 2 tog.
- Rows 3, 5 and 7: Repeat Row 1.
- Rows 4, 6 and 8: Repeat Row 2: 6 sts at end of Row 8.
- Row 9: P across row.
- Row 10: Make 1 inc in first st; k across row; make 1 inc in last st.
- Rows 11, 13 and 15: Repeat Row 9.
- Rows 12, 14 and 16: Repeat Row 10: 14 sts at end of Row 16.
- Row 17: P across row.
- Row 18: K across row.
- Rows 19, 21 and 23: Repeat Row 17: 14 sts at end of Row 23.
- Rows 20 and 22: Repeat Row 18.
- Row 24: K 2 tog, k across row to last 2 sts, k 2 tog.
- Row 25: P across row.
- Rows 26, 28, 30 and 32: Repeat Row 24.
- Rows 27, 29, 31 and 33: Repeat Row 25: 4 sts at end of Row 33.
- Thread yarn through remaining stitches on needle and fasten yarn tightly, leaving an 18-in. length of yarn.
- ASSEMBLY: Place two body pieces right sides together with outside edges matching. Use the tapestry needle and matching yarn to stitch row ends together, leaving tail end open for stuffing.
- Turn body right side out. Stuff body firmly, inserting catnip in center.
- Thread bell onto ribbon. Center bell on ribbon and knot ribbon close to bell.
- Center ends of ribbon along tail as shown in photo. Sew edges together, catching ends of ribbon in stitching.
- Referring to photo for placement and Satin Stitch illustration an eye on each side with black and a mouth on front with red.
FINISHED SIZE: Each fish measures about 2-3/4 inches high x 10 inches long, including ribbon tail.
- inc increase
- k knit
- MC main color
- p purl
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
Fun Fish Cat Toys from Jean Nickerson of Apple Valley, California